Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Drinking my Veggies

"Juicing" has been quite the new fad these days and I've read a lot about it since I was diagnosed with cancer. There are a lot of people who swear by its positive effects on pretty much everything. While generally skeptical on anything that seems to be promoted as a "cure all", I was pretty impressed by the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". (Sounds gross - but is a really cool film.) Plus, while I'm pretty good at eating my veggies, I'm actually pretty terrible about getting in fruits. And fruits are full of all kinds of health promoting nutrients. So, I thought I'd give it a whirl.
 
So, I borrowed a friend's Breville Juice Fountain and bought a boatload of fruits and veggies. (Lucky for me, I live in a place with lots of great produce markets. So I got all of this for under $35!)
 
 
Then I got down to prepping and juicing! Some of the mixes made some very pretty rainbows of color in the juicer.
 
 
I love watching it all get chopped up, spun out, and turn into tasty juices!
 
These are some of my favorite combinations:
 
 
So refreshing! Like something that should have a little alcohol thrown in too!

 
Light and perfect for a hot day. I think I'll be making this a lot this summer.

 
So delicious. Kind of like pie filling. YUM.

 
I know the idea of Kale turns a lot of people off - but this is one of my faves. A yummy morning drink starts the day off right.

 
Another rich and filling combo. I'm not much of a blueberry fan but its great with the grapes and mint.

 
Most of my information, instructions, helpful hints and recipes came from this website. It has lots of juice cleanse plans, complete with shopping lists to make it simple to know what to buy. I tried a three day cleanse, but just couldn't handle not eating at all. I did pretty well with eating only one meal and substituting the rest with juice through the day. I am planning to stick with trying to have a fresh juice at least once a day. I think its a great way to get in those essential nutrients and they taste so great! Give it a try - I'd be happy to pass along more recipes or pointers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your support and prayers are so important to me!