Sunday, March 17, 2013

Lucky Life List: Thirty Three

Today I turn 33.

It is by far the most uneventful birthday ever...and I'm actually pretty grateful for that fact!

The weekend has been pretty quiet and I have dinner with good friends scheduled for later tonight. But I wanted to take a moment to list some things that I am grateful for today.

33 Things to be exact.

So, here we go:

1. My family - we are far flung and only see each other a couple times a year. But nontheless, they are mine and I love them all dearly.

2. My girls - Melanie, Alida, Jill - I am my best self when I am with you three. I love you!

3. My bonus families - specifically the Christians and the Thanepohns. I am so very very luck to have extra Moms, Dads, sisters, not to mention extra nieces and nephews!

4. All of the other wonderful people that make up my "best friend tier". People that fill in all those wonderful niches in my life. You make me more well rounded - and occasionally validate my crazy.  ;)

5. My Godkiddos - Ava and Noah. I couldn't love you more if you were my own.

6. My job - I'm sorry to anyone who doesn't love what they are doing every day. Its exhausting and frustrating and sometimes I shake my head at the insanity. But I can't imagine doing anything else.

7. My team - I work with the best people ever. From my supervisor to the staff I supervise. I just wouldn't want to do it without you guys.

8. My home - I've officially lived in my little apartment longer than anywhere since high school. And it is truly a home. I love coming back to it every night.

9. My puppies - crazy, cuddly, my constant companions.

10. My health - it seems a little strange that I got to number 10 without mentioning it given this last year. But in truth, what good is health if you don't have something to live for? I have so much!

11. My medical team - who would have guessed that a girl who didn't even HAVE a primary doctor two years ago would have a whole team to thank? A mixed blessing, but a blessing nontheless!

12. My fellow survivors - I'm so very grateful for those women for reaching out to me. Kathleen and Lorelei - this means you!

13. My church - its been a long time since I had a home church (this is what happens when you move yearly). But I am very grateful for the community I have here.

14. Old friends - I might as well just say I'm thankful for Facebook! Its brought many old friends back into my life and I am so very grateful!

Ok, that was all the serious stuff - here are the rest of the things that I'm grateful for, its the little things right?

15. My camera - I love capturing memories and moments.

16. Books - I wish I had more time to read!

17. Running - I can't even believe I just wrote that one. But its true. I love it. (And I still kinda hate it.)

18. My car - I know, kinda lame. But its taken me so many places, mostly to visit loved ones. So, I am very grateful for it!

19. Good food - having been a picky eater for my first 23 years of life was such a waste! And now that I'm actually learning to make it for myself, the possiblities of yummy and healthy food are endless.

20. Blogs and Twitter - remember when you only knew people you had met? I'm so glad those days are over...

21. Spring - it is coming right? Soon? And then Summer?

22. Netflix - I got rid of cable recently and discovered that I don't need new TV shows, because all my old favorites are right at my fingertips!

23. Pinterest - can you tell I love social media?

24. Soda - I gave it up for Lent. I really miss it right now. I know people claim that once they give it up, they don't crave it anymore. They are liars.

25. Sleep - oh how I love sleep.

26. Movies - seen any good ones lately?

27. Music - I love singing along in my car...and also occasionally in the shower.

28. Lazy weekends - just hanging out with my dogs, maybe lunch with a friend, cleaning my apartment. I love a good lazy weekend.

29. Coconut Oil and Baking soda - I'll explain more later, but remember how the Dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding was about Windex? That's me and Coconut oil and/or Baking soda. Its the solution to everything.

30. My cell phone. Everyone and everything I need in the palm of my hand. ;)

31. Chicago - best city ever.

32. Sangria - I'm totally having some with my birthday dinner tonight.

33.  Anticipation - I'm so excited for what is to come. I think 33 is going to be my best year yet!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday again, Rachel! Such a wonderful list...and a great idea. I think I might have to come up with 38(!) this August when I celebrate my own birthday.

    Oh...and #24? For you, that may be true. But I gave up soda two years ago in favor of water and it tastes funny (and/or too sweet) now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your support and prayers are so important to me!