The gist of it is that Dr. R is recommending another surgery and a hysterectomy.
It took some time, talking to various friends and family, and then some follow up calls to Dr. R's office before I felt like I understood exactly what and why this was happening. The cyst is being referred to as a "peritoneal cyst" and they aren't particularly uncommon - especially in people who have had major abdominal surgery. Initially when Dr. R walked into my room he talked about waiting 6 weeks and re-evaluating at that time. But as we continued talking, and I continued asking questions, the conversation turned to treatment options. There are lots of options to consider:
- Leaving the cyst inside me is risky because it could contain cancerous cells.
- Three surgeries in a year is rough on my body.
- Removing my uterus and ovary reduces the places cancer can hide and multiply.
- Menopause at 32 is no picnic and has a myriad of negative side effects.
- Removing my uterus and ovary doesn't guarantee the cancer won't come back in other places.
Basically, what I was told was this:
- It is very rare for 32 year olds to get ovarian cancer. (Average age is 63.)
- When someone as young as me does have ovarian cancer, it isn't the type I have.
- Because my cancer has already proved to be "abnormal", Dr. R wants to be more aggressive and give me a better "outcome". (Dr talk for "live longer".)
But the wonderful thing about Dr. R is that he understands that he isn't the only one making decisions here. He very clearly said, "this is your choice". I appreciate that he realizes that I have to be part of this decision making process. And part of the way I will make that decision is probably going to be another second opinion. Its not that I don't trust Dr. R, but once again I feel the need to have more than one "expert opinion" before I can make the "final decision".
I feel very strongly about this.
This is my life we are talking about.
And my life is about more than just how many years I get to be here on Earth.
So, here I am asking for your SPECIFIC PRAYERS again.
1. Please pray that the cyst is gone - COMPLETELY GONE - when I go in for my next ultrasound in two weeks.
2. Please pray that my CA-125 levels are still low when I have my next blood draw in about a week.
3. Please pray that I will find another doctor that I feel I can trust to give me a second opinion - I'll be looking/calling for appointments this week so that they are ready when these test results come back in a couple weeks.
4. Please pray for discretion and wisdom in my decision making.
Thank you all so much - I know I am asking for a lot here, but nothing is too big for God right? I might as well aim high! :)