Monday, April 9, 2012

Pursue: Health

Of course, once I posted about my "one word" for the year I began getting questions about what I was actually pursuing! So, here is the first thing that I dedicating myself to working towards this year:

Being Healthier

What does that mean? Well, first and formost it means taking better care of myself. More sleep, better foods, and dedicating real effort towards getting in the exercise that will make my body stronger.

And of course it also means losing some weight.

I've never been a skinny person, but I've also honestly never spent that much time thinking about my weight either. Like most women, I'd would have liked to be a smaller size but just never felt particularly compelled to change my life enough to achieve it.

But this isn't about vanity anymore.

This is about my health.

Obesity is a risk factor for Ovarian Cancer. And my body can't concentrate on its job of keeping cancer at bay if its also having to work harder at everything else because its carrying extra weight.

I also think it needs to spend less time processing unnatural stuff - so one of the first things I'm working to pursue is a major change in the way I eat. I'm working to change my diet to include more whole, easier-to-breakdown foods. So, I started with cleaning out my pantry!

I wish I had a "before" picture, but you'll have to make do with the "after" and my assurance that it used to be stuffed full of boxed meals, white pasta, and more preservatives than I care to admit. Now, its practically empty! I'm trying to keep it that way - the less stuff that can be stored for months at a time, the better as far as I'm concerned.





And my fridge went from being nearly empty, except for a few staples and usually some leftovers to this:



I do a lot more grocery shopping now - its my goal to stay far away from the "inside aisles" of the store where all the easy-to-throw-in-the-microwave or eat-straight-out-of-the-box food are stored. Now I concentrate on fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains (quinoa is my new best friend) and other less processed foods. I'm also drinking more water and less soda - this is a major downfall for me and I haven't yet committed to breaking my caffiene habit! But I have committed to drinking my 8 glasses of water a day and that is a major accomplishment!



(Recent meals - Spinach, strawberry, goat cheese salad - salmon burger, avocado, kiwi, and clementine)


I'll talk about exercise eventually, but I'm still settling into some kind of routine and figuring out what works best for my schedule and my stamina. Let me tell you, two major abdominal surgeries in three months really does a number on your core muscles! I have been seriously humbled by realizing just how much my body has gone through in the last few months.

This also means way more cooking in my life - but I'll tackle that in another post!

And I'll keep you all updated on how the path to healthier eating is going!

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you! You are beautiful no matter what your size. I'm glad that you are trying to take good care of yourself. We work very hard not to eat processed foods as well. It's easier for me, though, because those things just aren't available to us. However, when we do have some sort of 'junk food' around, I don't feel as badly about enjoying it knowing that it's just a treat. So, don't forget to treat yourself, too! Just FYI: I don't see any pictures in this post if you meant there to be some. If I can offer any advice or help in the healthy eating department, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Rachel! If you ever want delicious and healthy recipes...my sister and her hubby I'm sure would LOVE to share with you! She's my inspiration for healthier eating...and way to go shopping the "outside" it's the easiest way to do it and even though you shop more often it's quick!

    ReplyDelete

Your support and prayers are so important to me!