Sunday, February 5, 2012

New Phase

I had my last post-surgery doctor appointment on Friday - sorry its taken me so long to write a real update! But it went well and I'm so grateful for the amazing Dr. R! (If anyone in the area ever needs to know his real name, please don't hesitate to ask me!)

As we were told right after my surgery, there is "no evidence of disease" left in my body! So, I'm technically considered "in remission" although that term isn't really used for this type of cancer I think. I'll be followed closely for the next five years to make sure I stay cancer free. That monitoring starts in April with a CT scan, blood work and full GYN exam - which will repeat every 3 months for at least the next two years. It will probably be reduced to every six months if everything is fine at that point. The one piece of dissapointing news is that I will likely still need to have a hysterectomy shortly after I turn 40 - just to be "safe". While I don't relish the idea of another surgery, I'm thankful for all the time I have!

Best news from yesterday? There is only a 5-10% chance of reoccurance! I like those odds!

Speaking of "odds", a friend I just talked to on the phone reminded me of some other statistics that I just read the other day. I avoided most web research and definitely kept away from statistics because they were just too frightening. But now that I know more about my cancer specifically, these statistics actually moved me to tears.

  • Less than 5% of women diagnosed with Ovarian cancer are under age 35, the average age is 63.
  • The chance of being diagnosed in an early stage (1 or 2) of Ovarian cancer is only 30%.
  • Less than 15% of women are diagnosed in Stage 1 (my stage).

I can't believe how fortunate I am to have defied all of those statistics. Especially since the survival rate drops dramatically from Stages 1/2 to Stage 3. The 5 year survival rates for Stage 1 Ovarian cancer is 93%. That is a risk I can live with for now.

So, for now I hope to go back to my relatively "normal" life. Although it certainly will be a "new normal" after this experience. So many things have been put into perspective for me in the last three months. I do ask for your prayers as I figure out how to move forward into this new phase of life.

I'll be keeping this blog going as just a "personal" blog, so if you aren't interested in my random musings or "What I did this weekend" posts, I'll understand if you "unfollow" or unsubscribe from the email updates. I will still post links on Facebook so you can follow me there. I'm hoping life will be much less exciting now! And the blog will be getting a new name - cause I hope to talk a LOT less about my ovaries in the coming months!

Thank you all once again for supporting and praying for me. I feel very undeserving of such a positive outcome and know that there are many out there who have it much worse than me. Thank you all for helping me through the last three months.

XOXO,
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. I will continue to follow, Rachel as I can't wait to see what God has planned for you! So blessed to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many prayers of thanksgiving and guidance...I'm thinking this next phase of your life will truly be an ADVENTURE...less terrifying and immediate than this adventure you've been on...but an adventure none the less...can't wait to see what God has planned for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your support and prayers are so important to me!