Thursday, November 17, 2011

Good News Came Early This Morning!

The more I talk to doctors, the more good news I get! (Its amazing what starts seeming like "good news" after you are diagnosed with cancer.)

This morning I met with the Medical Oncologist (MO) and my surgeon from Monday. The MO said that generally a hysterectomy followed by chemotherapy is the "standard". However, he also said that he believes it would be alright to do chemo first and then do a second surgery to see if there was any remaining cancer.

There are risks involved with waiting obviously - the quicker we get rid of all the cancer, the higher the survival rate. Taking out all those organs would be the quickest way to get out most of the cancer. Plus there is a very high chance that even with chemo first, I'd still have to do a hysterectomy at some point.

But at least I have options. I get to make the choice.

No matter what, its important that I make decisions about possible egg harvesting now. Chemo would likely kill off any healthy eggs and a hysterectomy obviously means that I would not be able to carry a baby. But if I decide to have eggs frozen it would give me options for using a surrogate later on if that is what I wanted. But I need to decide now if I want them harvested and frozen.

Again, these are choices I didn't know I had two days ago. I am very relieved to have choices!

I don't fault my doctor on Tuesday for wanting to get me back into the operating room immediately. At that point I was running a fever, my blood counts were completely out of whack, and she was very concerned that I might be having complications from the ruptured tumor/ovary. She was more worried about me becoming septic than giving me lots of choices.

But I am very thankful that I have choices today.

More good news - while Chemo will last about 6 months, the MO said that it is usually standard to only receive one round every 3 weeks. Which means that I will likely be able to go back to work! I will have to take a few days off around each new round of chemo so that I can rest and see if there are any side effects. But he said that most people are able to keep working - I'm so grateful that I will be able to work! I love my job and am sure I will be grateful for the distraction. Plus, I have good friends at work that I would miss!

I'm still making decisions about who/where I will go for a second opinion. I'm calling an old friend (who is a OB/GYN) and getting some advice about who will be the best. My doctor here is willing to make phone calls on my behalf to try to speed up the time for getting an appointment for the second opinion. I just need to pick a doctor/hospital.

My fever has been gone for over 36 hours, my blood counts have stabilized, and they are talking about discharging me today! I'm still pretty uncomfortable, but can walk around slowly and am looking forward to being at home soon.

******

Specific Prayer requests for 11/17/11:
1. Direction in choosing a doctor for 2nd Opinion
2. Wisdom for the Doctor who will be making the second opinion.
3. Discharge today!

5 comments:

  1. So glad that you have choices and that you have people there with you to support you while you make them. Continuing to hold you in my thoughts and send you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.budwigcenter.com/

    I do not know what you are considering but this Cancer Center in Spain treats all cancer with non surgical methods. It's worth checking out.

    I'm sorry to hear you are going through this and have you in my thoughts and prayers. You are a strong woman who will push through this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt you will be fine through all of this. You're a fighter and I can't see you going down w/o kicking and screaming. LOL Both of my sisters had to do chemo for their thyroid cancer (3 years and 2 years ago respectively) and......happily, they are now cancer free.

    The same fate awaits you. You are in our thoughts daily, beautiful.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about everything that is happening! You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers, especially in these next few weeks as some decisions are made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you have some choices, especially for your eggs. Wishing I could be one of the people to help you in person, but at least I can pray from here!

    ReplyDelete

Your support and prayers are so important to me!